We would love you to be part of the team that’s making life better for the oldest people in our communities. Volunteering at Re-engage can be an incredibly rewarding and useful experience.
We have volunteer roles right across the UK. They range from hosting an event in your home once or twice a year to making fortnightly calls to lonely and isolated older people. Take a look at the different roles below and see what you think might suit you best.
Become a call companion
Call companions are volunteers, over the age of 18, who make regular telephone calls to older people. These calls provide friendship, joy and conversation.
Become a call companion coordinator
Our call companion coordinators are volunteers, over the age of 18, who oversee a small group of our call companions and the older people they speak to on a regular basis.
Become a volunteer interviewer
Are you organised, positive and dedicated to supporting older people who are lonely? Re-engage is looking for volunteers to interview new volunteer call companion and tea party applicants.
Become a rainbow call companion volunteer
Apply to join us as a rainbow call companion volunteer and help reduce loneliness and isolation among older LGBT+ people.
Become a tea party volunteer
Apply to join us as a tea party volunteer and help reduce loneliness and isolation among older people.
Become a volunteer for our activity groups in Wales or West Yorkshire
Our groups bring together people aged 75 and over in local communities across Wales and West Yorkshire through activity based groups to help reduce loneliness, isolation and improve physical wellbeing.
Become a Re-engage impact volunteer
Impact volunteers help us to evaluate our work so that we can understand the impact of our services. This can involve interviewing older people or asking them to complete questionnaires.
Become a lunch club volunteer, or cinema group volunteer, in Crosby
Volunteer with us and help reduce loneliness and isolation amongst older people in the Crosby area.
- You’ll be asked to fill in a volunteering application form on the Re-engage website – this will take you approximately five to 10 minutes to complete.
- We’ll contact you to arrange a time for your interview – we try to interview everyone within four weeks of receiving their application.
- If you’re successful at interview, you’ll be sent an email asking you to provide two references and to complete a check, the type of check that you complete will depend on the role that you are applying for. The check can take up to six weeks to process.
- Once your checks have been completed, we’ll send you a link to the necessary training for your role. All our training is online and how quickly you complete it is up to you.
- At the end of your training, you’ll be asked to sign your volunteer agreement. You can do this immediately after you have finished your training.
- Once you’ve completed your volunteer agreement, you’re ready to start volunteering.
Our Re-engage team aim to have you volunteering within 12 weeks, but there may be times when it can take a little longer. We’ll always let you know if there are any delays in your application.
We all have different reasons for getting involved but a lot of our volunteers have or have had older people in their lives who have brought them joy or who have experienced loneliness. Other volunteers are feeling the twinge of loneliness themselves as they settle into a new area, a new job, a new set of circumstances.
Whatever your reasons, we are here to make sure that all our volunteers are fully equiped for their role.
Our different roles have varying time commitments. Being a call companion, for example, is flexible and created to fit around busy lifestyles. A volunteer call companion will call the same older person between two and four times a month at a mutually agreed time for an informal chat. Calls will last for around 30 minutes. A volunteer host in our tea party groups by contrast, hosts their local Re-engage group for an afternoon one to two times a year.
Our volunteer opportunities are open to everyone over the age of 18, the beauty of our community lies in the diverse make up of our groups – from young to older adults (and young retirees).