Become a Re-engage impact volunteer
As an impact volunteer you’ll support our evaluation work by speaking to older people and other volunteers over the telephone, conducting questionnaires and interviews to help us understand the impact of our services.
Our services are free to people aged 75 and over who are experiencing social isolation and loneliness.
Tea parties are monthly social groups that give older people regular afternoons of conversation and laughter with friends of all ages.
Call companions ensure older people stay connected to the outside world by providing a regular chat over the phone with the same friendly volunteer.
Activity groups get older people moving and allow them to make connections with other people in their local area.
To become an impact volunteer, you’ll need to:
- Attend a 30-minute online volunteer group induction
- Submit an ID check
- Provide a reference
- Complete online volunteer training modules
- Conducting evaluation and wellbeing surveys with older people over the phone.
- Inputting responses to written surveys into online forms.
- Conducting evaluation interviews with older people and other volunteers over the phone.
- Keeping your knowledge and training up to date by reading our monthly volunteer newsletter – Re-engage Matters.
- Following the guidance in the online volunteer training so that you handle all personal data securely, are aware of our safeguarding framework and complete all tasks in line with our charitable aims.
- Keeping in regular contact with Re-engage and reporting any concerns to the team.
- This is a flexible, remote voluntary role that can easily be fitted in around your own lifestyle and availability. You’ll need a computer, a reliable internet connection, and a phone.
- We ask impact volunteers to commit to volunteering for a minimum of two hours per week.
- Please note that you must be at least 18 years old to become a Re-engage volunteer.
- To keep our services free for older people, we aren’t able to pay expenses for this role.
In this role you’ll speak to lots of different people from across the UK who vary in age from 18 to over 90. You’ll also be part of a team of volunteers supported by a volunteer coordinator. You’ll use and develop your research and communication skills, gain valuable experience with a national charity and, most importantly, make a real difference to the lives of lonely and socially isolated older people.
As a valued Re-engage volunteer you’ll receive training, support and regular updates and communication from the Re-engage team.
People who enjoy this role are happy to speak to new people on the phone and confident about asking survey questions with care and empathy. You might have experience in caring professions, social work, come from a research background, or be trained in conducting surveys and interviews, though it’s not essential.
We’re looking for impact volunteers who have:
- Excellent communication skills – someone who is friendly and speaks clearly
- An enthusiasm for speaking to new people on the phone
- Excellent listening skills
- A high level of accuracy
- Patience and understanding
- A passion for improving the lives of lonely and isolated older people
- Their own computer and strong IT skills (our inductions, checks, training, and forms are all online and our charity is paperless)
If this sounds like you, then we’d love to hear from you. You can apply to be an impact volunteer by completing our online application form.