Become a tea party host
Our tea party hosts are a vital part of the Re-engage team.
Tea parties provide a lifeline of friendship for our older people, and the regular, warm, friendly chats and companionship provide a vital link with the outside world from which they have become isolated. Re-engage needs enthusiastic volunteers to work as tea party hosts.
This is a flexible, voluntary role that can easily be fitted in around your own lifestyle and availability. As a volunteer host you will run a local Re-engage tea party one to two times a year. You will host a group of four to 12 people (which includes drivers, the group coordinator as well as older guests) in either your home or a community venue. The tea parties will last around two hours and will usually take place on a Sunday afternoon. You must be comfortable socialising with people and providing guests and other volunteers with refreshments.
You will need two references and to complete an ID check for this role.
- Completing and submitting a host’s home checklist for your own home or signing a declaration if you’re hosting at an external venue before your first tea party and on an annual basis.
- Welcoming a group of older guests and volunteer drivers into your home or to the community venue.
- Providing and serving refreshments for your group – usually food and drinks for afternoon tea.
- Liaising with your group coordinator to ensure dietary requirements and the older guests' needs are met prior to the tea party.
- Informing the group coordinator of any safeguarding concerns or issues you might have.
- Following all guidance in your host training modules to ensure that the tea parties are enjoyable, appropriate, and in line with our charitable aims.
The number of older guests attending your tea party will be confirmed by the group coordinator prior to the group meeting so you have plenty of time to plan. It is important for the older guests to have access to a downstairs toilet. They will also require seating; a combination of lounge chairs and hard back chairs is fine. Don’t worry if you don’t have chairs for all the drivers as they will be circulating and helping you if required, so you can enjoy the afternoon too. A lot of stairs can present problems, although just a few steps are usually manageable. You will be volunteering for around two hours plus setting up time once or twice a year.
Time commitment: hosting one to two tea parties a year but more if willing!
No expenses will be covered for this role.
As one of our valued volunteers, you’ll receive training from Re-engage, and support and regular communications from your group coordinator. This is a fun and rewarding role which will enable you to connect with lonely older people and make a real and lasting difference to their lives.
We are looking for hosts with the following skills and attributes:
- Good conversational skills
- An enthusiasm for making genuine connections with older people in your community
- A friendly, patient, and empathetic approach
- Passion for entertaining, providing food and refreshments
- Basic understanding of food hygiene
- Basic computer literacy (including the ability to use email)
If this sounds like you, then please use our online application form and get in touch.
Many people enjoy volunteering for more than one role, feeling more involved and connected to others. Please have a look at our other volunteering roles to see what other opportunities we have available.
Re-engage is a charity that's positive about older age and committed to fighting loneliness so that people can have social lives and friendship however old they are. We inspire and enable meaningful connections and shared experiences within communities across the UK for older people facing loneliness and social isolation.
Our staff and volunteers work together to create better communities and help to enrich the lives of our members by giving them something to look forward to. Older people who may have felt very alone, now feel valued as individuals, continue to form friendships, and have support. We make sure that people know they are important well into old age. Respectful, determined, warm, pioneering, and local: we are Re-engage and we are bringing generations together.