Become a call companion for the Re-engage call companion service in partnership with Parkinson's UK
As a volunteer for the Re-engage call companion service in partnership with Parkinson’s UK, you’ll make regular telephone calls to a lonely or isolated older person who is living with or caring for someone with Parkinson’s.
These friendly chats provide a lifeline of friendship for older people and a vital link with the outside world from which they’ve become isolated.
To become a call companion you’ll need to:
- Attend a 30-minute online volunteer group induction
- Submit an ID check
- Provide a reference
- Complete online volunteer training modules
- Calling the older person you’ve been matched with for approximately 30 minutes either weekly or fortnightly at an agreed time.
- Following the guidance in the online volunteer training so that your call companion calls are enjoyable, appropriate and in line with our charitable aims.
- Keeping in regular contact with Re-engage and reporting any concerns to the team.
- Keeping your knowledge and training up to date by reading our monthly volunteer newsletter – Re-engage Matters.
- This is a flexible, homebased voluntary role that can easily be fitted in around your own lifestyle and availability.
- We’re looking for call companions who can commit to volunteering for at least 12 months.
- Please note that you must be at least 18 years old to become a Re-engage volunteer.
- To keep our services free for older people, we aren’t able to pay expenses for this role.
This is a fun, flexible and rewarding role which will enable you to connect with, and make a real and lasting difference to, the life of an older person who is experiencing social isolation or loneliness.
As a valued Re-engage volunteer you’ll receive training, support and regular updates and communication from the Re-engage team.
We’re looking for call companions who have:
- A friendly nature
- Good listening skills
- Good conversation skills
- Patience and understanding
- A passion for improving the lives of lonely and isolated older people
- Basic computer skills (our inductions, checks and training are all online and our charity is paperless)
If this sounds like you, then we’d love to hear from you. You can apply to be a call companion by completing our online application form.