What is Zoom?
Zoom is a web-based video conferencing tool with a local, desktop client and a mobile app that allows users to meet online, with or without video.
Setting up an account
You do not need to set up a Zoom account to attend a Zoom meeting. But you will need to set up an account if you are planning on hosting a meeting (it is free to join).
To set up an account, take the following steps:
- Go to https://zoom.us and click ‘Sign Up’
- Enter your date of birth and e-mail. A verification e-mail will then be sent to you.
- Go to your email account and click the verification link, sent by Zoom (the e-mail may take a few minutes to come through, and may go to junk or spam)
- After clicking the verification link, complete your sign up
When setting up an account, you’ll also be given the option to create a "Test Meeting". This is a meeting just for you to familiarise yourself with the features of Zoom.
Joining a meeting
The below steps may vary slightly depending on if you’re using a computer, phone or tablet.
- To join a Zoom meeting, click on the link sent to you within the meeting invitation
- If you’re using Zoom for the first time, a notification will pop up –prompting youto download and run the Zoom app.
- If using a laptop or computer Zoom Zip file will appear at the bottom of the screen. Clickon the file to install the launcher.
- If you are using a phone or tablet/iPad, you will be redirected to the Apple Store or Google Play Store to download the app. There is no fee for this.
- As you join a meeting you’ll be put into a Waiting Room. The host will let you into the meeting when they’re ready.
- When you enter the meeting, you’ll be given the opportunity to connect your audio and video.
In the meeting
Here are the main features of a Zoom meeting:
- Mute/Unmute – On your screen there will be a Microphone icon. By clicking this icon you will be able to mute and unmute your microphone.
- Start Video/Stop Video – On your screen next to the Mute/Unmute button is a Start Video/ Stop Video button. You can click this button to turn your camera on or off.
- Main Screen – Your main screen should show everybody who is in the meeting. Their names will appear on the screen too.If using a computer there should be‘View’ option on the top right hand side of the screen. Here you can choose to see all participants or the speaker only
- Share Screen – If the meeting involves a presentation, the host or one of the participants may share their screen for you to see
- Chat – You can write comments and join in the chat here.
For a more in-depth guide to Zoom, there are several useful tutorials on YouTube.