A volunteer driver is much more than someone who drops off and collects an older guest. Our drivers are at the heart of the organisation, forming committed connections with older people in their communities as they join the Re-engage group together.
Please note that we are also looking for reserve drivers to step in when one of our regular drivers cannot attend a monthly gathering.
Once you join a group as a driver, or reserve driver, you will collect and accompany one or two older people to the social gathering once a month. The monthly gathering will normally take place at another volunteer’s home. Part of your role will be to liaise with other volunteers and older guests to finalise pick-up arrangements.
If you can give three or four hours each month to be part of a group of older and younger people in your local community then do please think about filling in our application form.
To be a driver with us we ask that you have:
- Full drivers licence
- Two references
- We will also do criminal records checks – a DBS in England and Wales or a PVG in Scotland
Our social gatherings usually take place in people’s houses thanks to the warm welcome offered by our volunteer hosts. Most volunteer hosts welcome our guests and volunteers every 6 to 12 months, but others do so much more often.
If you are able to offer a group of eight people or more the opportunity to come into your home for tea one of two Sundays each year then please consider signing up to be a volunteer host.
It is a lovely way to get to know other people local to you. You just need to have a downstairs toilet and easy access into your home (not more than three steps, ideally).
“When we moved house, I told my husband we had to get a downstairs loo put in so that we could continue hosting for Re-engage”.
Group Coordinators range from people in their 20s to people in their 80s. Some work, some don’t, and they have a wonderful and diverse range of backgrounds and skills. What they all have is the determination to make sure that the older people in their community can get together in social groups.
Our team does all the recruitment of older guests and volunteers but it is the Group Coordinators who plan the monthly meet-ups and ensure that they run smoothly with every older guest picked up and taken home and a host lined up for every month.
All Group Coordinators are allocated to one of our nation-wide team of Support Officers who are there to give support and advice.
We require a criminal record check and two references from our Group Coordinators.
Reading Friends is an innovative partnership between Re-engage and the Reading Agency.
It brings people together to read, share stories, interests and life experiences, meet new friends and have fun. We use reading – whether books, magazines, newspapers, or anything else – to start everyone chatting.
During the next year will be bringing together new groups of volunteers and older people in selected locations in South West England and Scotland.
There are four volunteer roles available:
- Reading Friends Facilitator – responsible for taking the lead in running the group, agreeing discussion topics with the members and liaising with Contact the Elderly Support/Development Officer regarding any issues or concerns.
- Reading Friend – volunteer who will participate actively and help to keep the conversation flowing, contribute to topic ideas, but does not commit to having overall responsibility for the group.
- Reading Friend & Driver – responsible for driving one or two older people to the host venue and participating in the group sessions as a Reading Friend.
- Reading Friend & Host – volunteer who will host the group in their own home a few times a year and participate as a Reading Friend too. See notes for Reading Friend role above.
We will start recruiting volunteers and guests very soon, register your interest
We're currently developing new volunteer roles, please get in touch with us if you are interested in any of the following:
- Work in our London office
- Volunteer photographer
- Volunteer videographer
- Volunteer fundraiser
Sign up to our monthly e-newsletter to find out about new volunteer opportunities.