Become a rainbow call companion
As a rainbow call companion you’ll be someone who identifies as LGBT+ and who wants to make regular telephone calls to an older LGBT+ person experiencing social isolation or loneliness.
These friendly chats provide a lifeline of friendship for older people and a vital link with the outside world from which they’ve become isolated.
To become a rainbow call companion, you’ll need to:
- Attend a 30-minute online volunteer group induction
- Submit an ID check
- Provide a reference
- Complete online volunteer training modules
- Calling the older person you’ve been matched with for approximately 30 minutes either weekly or fortnightly at an agreed time.
- Following the guidance in the online volunteer training so that your rainbow call companion calls are enjoyable, appropriate and in line with our charitable aims.
- Keeping in regular contact with Re-engage and reporting any concerns to the team.
- Keeping your knowledge and training up to date by reading our monthly volunteer newsletter – Re-engage Matters.
- This is a flexible, homebased voluntary role that can easily be fitted in around your own lifestyle and availability.
- We’re looking for rainbow call companions who identify as LGBT+ and who can commit to volunteering for at least 12 months.
- Please note that you must be at least 18 years old to become a Re-engage volunteer.
- To keep our services free for older people, we aren’t able to pay expenses for this role.
This is a fun, flexible and rewarding role which will enable you to connect with, and make a real and lasting difference to, the life of an older person who is experiencing social isolation or loneliness.
As a valued Re-engage volunteer you’ll receive training, support and regular updates and communication from the Re-engage team.
We’re looking for rainbow call companions who have:
- A friendly nature
- Good listening skills
- Good conversation skills
- Patience and understanding
- A passion for improving the lives of lonely and isolated older people
- Basic computer skills (our inductions, checks and training are all online and our charity is paperless)
Remember – As a rainbow call companion you’ll be someone who identifies as LGBT+.
If this sounds like you, then we’d love to hear from you. You can apply to be a rainbow call companion by completing our online application form.