Re-engage (formerly Contact the Elderly) is a charity that’s positive about older age and committed to fighting loneliness so that people can have social lives and friendship groups however old they are. We inspire and enable meaningful connections and shared experiences within communities across the UK for people over 75 facing loneliness and social isolation. Our volunteers work together to create better communities and help to enrich the lives of our members by giving them something to look forward to. Older people who may have felt very alone, now feel valued as individuals, continue to form friendships, and have groups and call companions to give support. We make sure that people know they are important well into old age. Respectful, determined, warm, pioneering, and local: we are Re-engage and we are Re-engage and we are bringing generations together.
Our board of trustees is made up of a diverse range of people, all committed to the goals of Re-engage and to seeing the charity increase its impact in combatting social isolation and loneliness. In October 2019, the board oversaw the change of name from Contact the Elderly to Re-engage and in January 2020, the board approved a new three-year strategy designed to diversify the work of the charity and have greater impact.
A trustee focussed on older people
Whilst the current board members represent a broad range of skills, ages, and gender, we are particularly interested in attracting trustees who have experience of working with older people with “lived experience” of older age. It is essential that all trustees, irrespective of background, have an interest in older people, in loneliness and social isolation, and a personal commitment to the goals of the charity. Relevant experience for our new trustee may include, but is not limited to:
- Experience of work in health or social care with a focus on older people
- Expertise in community engagement and partnership working for the benefit of older people
- Professional knowledge of the needs of the older old
We couldn’t do anything without our 14,000 volunteers, and we are committed to empowering them through implementing our new volunteer management pathways.
- 92% of our volunteers feel that they are giving something back
- 89% feel happier as a result of being involved
- 77% have made friends with the older guests in their group
The REACH strategy 2020-23
We take very seriously our commitment to deliver against the strategy and want everyone at Re-engage to believe passionately in the importance of keeping our strategic goals and objectives front and centre of our work. Our strategic goals are:
- Reduce loneliness by reaching more, and more diverse, older people
- Empower volunteers and staff
- Amplify the voices of older people
- Challenge ageism
- Harness technology
Our values guide how each of us work and behave in our role on a daily basis
- Respectful: we value open and honest communications.
- Determined: we are a team, challenging ourselves to be better whilst enjoying what we do
- Warm: we foster a culture of kindness and support
- Pioneering: we seek to work in new ways to constantly improve what we do
- Local: we work in local communities where we strive to be inclusive.
Our strategic objectives
The ten strategic objectives are shared by every member of our team:
- Increase the number of older people we help by 15% year on year with a target of reaching 13,000 in the year 2022-23
- Grow and diversify our client base of older people and include more men, members of BAME communities and LGBTQ+ groups
- Develop a scalable volunteer management model that will allow us to grow our volunteer base year on year, develop fresh volunteer roles, and provide a consistent volunteer experience
- Develop our senior volunteer roles to diversify and increase our impact, recruiting and training four new Area Coordinators each year
- Put in place professional policies, processes, and practices for staff management to ensure we are a great place to work
- Put in place a monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) programme which will demonstrate our impact
- Grow our brand in support of our service and our beneficiaries
- Develop IT systems that will allow us to deliver on our service delivery and people management goals
- Grow our income in line with our growth in numbers and diversify our income streams
- Amplify the voices of the older people