Responsible to: head of partnerships and engagement
Hours of work: full time post - permanent (after completion of probationary period) with occasional weekend and evening work – Re-engage is committed to flexible working and will consider all requests for flexibility
Place of work: home-based
Salary: £25,225 per annum
Holidays: 26 days per year plus public holidays pro rata
Closing date for applications: 5pm on Tuesday 3 August 2021
Interview date: Wednesday 18 August 2021
You will be working as part of a team of engagement officers, all with responsibility for engagement in different parts of the UK, and collaborating across our Resource Hub of finance, IT systems, admin, communications, and fundraising staff.
Re-engage, the national charity working with older people to combat loneliness and social isolation, is pleased to announce that we’re recruiting a new member of our partnerships and engagement team to drive forward our work in London and the surrounding area. This role is at the heart of ensuring Re-engage’s lasting impact.
If you’re the right person for us then you’ll work alongside older people across all communities in the capital and with a focus on working with Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities. We particularly welcome applications from candidates from a BAME background, but regardless, you’ll be part of strengthening and diversifying participation in our decision-making processes, particularly amplifying the voice of BAME older people, and embedding joint working between current and new partners.
The engagement officer (BAME) will:
- Contribute to the delivery of Re-engage’s objectives by creating new partnership working opportunities and developing existing ones.
- Generate referrals into our core services of call companions, tea parties and Community Christmas and to other funded projects.
- Look for new opportunities for service delivery partnerships.
- Develop a team of outreach volunteers within their area.
- Influence and encourage services and individuals to embrace difference and make positive changes is essential.
They will need to:
- Have a good standard of IT skills, including use of databases and MS Office.
- Travel across London and the surrounding area and, from time to time, to national meetings which may be held anywhere in the UK.
- Personally value the voluntary sector and volunteering.
- Be committed to an environment which promotes equality of opportunity and recognises and values diversity.
- Be energised by flexible interactive teamwork.
- Commit to Re-engage's ethos and values which are respectful, determined, warm, local, and pioneering.
To do this, your main tasks will be:
- Support the development of a targeted stakeholder plan for recruiting older people into our programmes. You’ll be identifying community partners to engage with and methods to do so such as 1-1 meetings with managers in partnership organisations, awareness training to groups of professionals, attendance at forums / networks, talks to community groups.
- Develop ways of listening to communities and build trust within local BAME communities. Help to raise the awareness of issues affecting different BAME communities.
- Establish a network that actively seeks to engage communities in making sense of issues which affect their lives, plan what they want to achieve and make appropriate recommendations for action.
- Support the development of citizen involvement mechanisms which enable older people to feed in their views and become involved in the design, delivery, development, and review of support available locally, including information to be fed into commissioners.
- Recruit and manage a team of outreach volunteers respond to and deal appropriately with all enquiries in an efficient and timely manner.
- Remain up to date with services, partner organisations, demographic profiles, and assets in areas agreed on with the head of partnerships and engagement. An important part of this work is ensuring that our records remain up to date, and that you’re identifying gaps and avoiding duplication. Carry out regular questionnaires with partners and volunteers in accordance with the Re-engage processes for monitoring, evaluation, and learning.
- As part of the partnerships and engagement team, you’ll have your own allocated responsibilities. You’ll robustly performance monitor and review all activities undertaken by the team in this area, making sure that you can demonstrate delivery outcomes, undertake appropriate risk assessments, and take into account the impact of any project and its social return on investment.
- Support the preparation of fundraising proposals and applications.
- Work with the communications team to showcase the work of our services and volunteers and the benefits to our guests through case studies, photos and quotes as well as providing raw material that they can use for media opportunities to increase awareness of Re-engage through local press, radio, TV, magazines, use of the Exhibition Stand etc.
- Establish, develop, and maintain effective working relationships with all colleagues to ensure an integrated contribution to Re-engage’s REACH objectives.
Re-engage is a charity that is positive about older age and committed to fighting loneliness so that people can have social lives and friendship groups however old they are. We inspire and enable meaningful connections and shared experiences within communities across the UK for people over 75 facing loneliness and social isolation.
Our volunteers work together to create better communities and help to enrich the lives of our members by giving them something to look forward to. Older people who may have felt very alone, now feel valued as individuals, continue to form friendships, and have groups and call companions that give support. We make sure that people know they are important well into old age. Respectful, determined, warm, pioneering, and local: we are Re-engage and we are bringing generations together.
We couldn’t do anything without our volunteers, and we are committed to empowering them through implementing our new volunteer management pathways.
- 92% of our volunteers feel that they are giving something back.
- 89% feel happier as a result of being involved.
- 77% have made friends with the older guests in their group.
Our goals, values, and objectives
We take very seriously our commitment to deliver against the strategy and want everyone at Re-engage to believe passionately in the importance of keeping our strategic goals and objectives front and centre of our work. Our REACH goals are:
- Reduce loneliness by reaching more, and more diverse, older people.
- Empower volunteers and staff.
- Amplify the voices of older people.
- Challenge ageism.
- Harness technology.
Our values guide how each of us work and behave in our role on a daily basis:
- Respectful: we are value open and honest communications.
- Determined: we are a team, challenging ourselves to be better whilst enjoying what we do.
- Warm: we foster a culture of kindness and support.
- Pioneering: we see to work in new ways to constantly improve what we do.
- Local: we work in local communities where we strive to be inclusive.
Our strategic objectives:
The 10 strategic objectives are shared by every member of our team and merging the roles will help everyone to focus on their part in delivering against all these goals.
- Increase the number of older people we help by 15% year on year with a target of reaching 13,000 in the year 2022-23.
- Grow and diversify our client base of older people and include more men, members of BAME communities and LGBTQ+ groups.
- Develop a scalable volunteer management model that will allow us to grow our volunteer base year on year, develop fresh volunteer roles, and provide a consistent volunteer experience.
- Develop our senior volunteer roles to diversify and increase our impact, recruiting and training four new area coordinators each year.
- Put in place professional policies, processes, and practices for staff management to ensure we are a great place to work.
- Put in place a monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) programme which will demonstrate our impact.
- Grow our brand in support of our service and our beneficiaries.
- Develop IT systems that will allow us to deliver on our service delivery and people management goals.
- Grow our income in line with our growth in numbers and diversify our income streams.
- Amplify the voices of the older people.
|Experience of delivering services with BAME communities either in a paid or unpaid position.||Minimum two years’ experience of consultation and community engagement.|
|Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communications skills. Positive attitude towards all age-related issues and commitment to challenging ageism.||Understanding of volunteer journey, including recruitment and engagement.|
|Understanding of, and empathy with, the issues affecting older people who are isolated and lonely.||Interest in learning about loneliness, social isolation, and factors that have an impact on the ageing population, including an understanding of the issues affecting different BAME communities.|
|Demonstrable experience of managing conflicting priorities and meeting tight deadlines.||Ability to travel to national meetings, sometimes overnight, after the COVID crisis.|
|Demonstrable experience of remote working / working from home and sustaining contact with managers and delivering to targets.||Experience of building and maintaining effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders from the statutory, commercial and voluntary sectors to deliver results.|
|Demonstrable ability to meet targets and provide accurate reporting information.||Experience of working with monitoring, evaluation, and learning systems.|
|Experience of developing community led projects, and capacity building programmes.||Understanding of confidentiality and the implications of GDPR when working with volunteers and with older people.|
|Strong understanding of the importance of record-keeping and CRM systems.||Experience in team leadership.|
|Understanding of the importance of brand.||Interest in developments in the wider charity sector.|
|Experience of delivering against the expectations of funders and grant-makers.||Understanding of safeguarding systems and processes.|
|Commitment to the charity and determined to promote a positive image of Re-engage at all times.|
This role also requires:
- A dedicated place to work in your home.
- Sufficient broadband for permanent Wi-Fi access to multiple cloud-based systems.
- An enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service / Protecting Vulnerable Groups check.
How to apply
Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.