Responsible to: service support manager
Hours of work: permanent (after completion of probationary period), full-time (35 hours). Re-engage is committed to flexible working and will consider all requests for flexibility
Place of work: home-based
Holidays: 26 days per year plus public holidays
Closing date for applications: Friday 17 December 2021 at midday
Re-engage is a charity that is positive about older age and committed to fighting loneliness so that people can have social lives and friendship groups however old they are. We inspire and enable meaningful connections and shared experiences within communities across the UK for people over 75 facing loneliness and social isolation.
Our volunteers work together to create better communities and help to enrich the lives of our members by giving them something to look forward to.
Older people who may have felt very alone now feel valued as individuals, continue to form friendships, and have groups that give support. We make sure that people know they are important well into their old age. Respectful, determined, warm, pioneering, and local: we are Re-engage and we are bringing generations together.
Our vision is a world where no one is ever too old to make friends and enjoy social interaction.
Our mission is to work within communities to end social isolation and loneliness in older people.
If you join us in this role, you’ll be a key member of our small but mighty service support team and will liaise closely with colleagues in the volunteer experience, service delivery and communications teams. We’re looking for someone who’s talented and experienced, proactive and always prepared to go the extra mile. We want you to be comfortable with working at pace and keen to take responsibility for
day-to-day operational activity.
Re-engage has an annual income and turnover of circa £2m, a team of 35 full-time equivalents, and we work with thousands of older people and volunteers across the UK.
About the service delivery department
Re-engage has long been known for its tea parties and this is at the heart of our befriending work. In 2019 we added in our Community Christmas work and in 2020 we extended our work to telephone befriending with our call companions service. We now have ambitions to explore face to face befriending.
We have a strong commitment to finding creative solutions to the long-term problems of social isolation and loneliness amongst older people. We take a digital first approach to our operations to ensure that we have the most efficient ways of working to support a large number of older people and volunteers with a relatively small staff.
Every year, Re-engage works with over 15,000 volunteers. Within our service delivery department, we have three teams: volunteer experience team, service delivery team and service support team. These three teams are responsible for the process of welcoming volunteers to the charity and getting them ready to volunteer, supporting volunteers throughout their journey with us and ensuring when it is time
for our volunteers to leave, we say the right sort of farewell and part on good terms.
About the role
Re-engage is seeking an exceptional candidate who will be responsible for producing consistent and engaging communications across digital and print for the benefit of our volunteers. This will include communications around volunteer recruitment, training, general guidance and FAQs.
This position offers a real opportunity to make a powerful impact in an organisation committed to supporting social isolated and lonely older people across the UK. Reporting to the service support manager, the volunteer communications officer will work with the wider service delivery department and have a dotted line of reporting to the director of communications. The volunteer communications officer will be able to interpret and promote the needs of our volunteers and clearly articulate our support for them in our communications.
We are looking for a demonstrable track record in communications, publishing or copywriting, with experience of working on a range of communications in both print and digital. You will have the innovative flair of a creative communicator with the practical focus of an achiever and be involved in the development and maintenance of high-quality content.
- Lead on the creation of engaging content for our volunteers to support their recruitment, training, general guidance / support whilst in the role, and offboarding.
- Lead on creating FAQs to add to our existing online library and work with the digital manager to make sure all FAQs are added (and removed where necessary) or updated on the website.
- Gather and curate information for Re-engage Matters, our monthly enewsletter for volunteers.
- Work alongside the communications team on the production of promotional material for volunteers including posters, booklets, brochure adverts, and other items as needed.
- Oversee all paper mailings to volunteers.
- Be responsible for fulfilling volunteer and referrer requests for promotional material (digital and print) through our mailing house.
- Work with the support services manager to maintain the volunteer communications budget.
- Maintain volunteer communications resources to ensure they are kept up to date and that volunteers are receiving consistent messaging through all channels.
- Feed into regular reports compiled by the service support manager so that the SMT and the board of trustees have reliable information that feeds into decision making.
- Monitor information and queries from volunteers via all channels to ensure we are staying relevant to their needs.
- Ensure adherence to the brand guidelines at all times.
The post holder may be required to undertake any other duties that fall within the nature of the role and responsibilities of the post as detailed above.
The ideal candidate
- You will have strong interpersonal and organisational skills.
- Be a motivated self-starter with prior experience of working in communications for at least four years.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Proven ability to effectively write and edit copy.
- Strong organisational and administrative skills including excellent attention to detail and effective time management.
- Excellent proof reading, copywriting and editing skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with different teams.
- An articulate and confident communicator.
- Excellent IT skills and good knowledge of Microsoft packages including Excel, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrable experience of managing a diverse workload; being able to prioritise tasks and work under pressure.
- Are committed to Re-engage's charity ethos and key values which are respectful, determined, warm, local and pioneering.
- A dedicated place to work from in your home.
- Sufficient broadband for permanent Wi-Fi access to multiple cloud-based systems.
- Passion for enriching the lives of older people.
- An ability to analyse data to inform improvements to our communications.
- Demonstrable experience of remote working / working from home and sustaining contact with teams and managers.
- Experience of working with volunteers and / or older people.
- A can-do attitude and creative approach to a limited marketing budget.
- Calm and patient when dealing with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Team Player: works collaboratively and flexibly to achieve outcomes and is keen to add value to the organisation’s culture and ethos.
- Able to undertake some occasional work in the evenings and at weekends.
- Able to travel occasionally in the UK to attend national meetings, sometimes overnight once or twice each year after COVID crisis if required.
How to apply
Please email syed@civitasrecruitment your updated CV and a cover letter stating why the charity appeals to you and what direct experiences you have.