The most wonderful time of the year?
This Christmas could be lonelier than ever for many older people.
But it doesn't have to be.
Community Christmas provides a free online directory of local festive 'acts of kindness' taking place across the UK, which are open to local older, vulnerable people who would otherwise be spending Christmas Day alone.
This year older people need your support more than ever. On this page we include suggestions for festive Covid-safe 'acts of kindness' to help bring your community together.
We've also put together guidance in our Christmas Frequently Asked Questions.
Whatever you decide to do in your community, however small, please do register it on our interactive map so that older people and their families and carers can find out about it. All activities listed must fall between 18-31 December.
Register your festive act of kindness
Are you hosting a small activity this Christmas to support your local community? Add it to our free online directory.
Find an activity near you
Use our map and postcode search to find events near you. Click on each listing for more details about the event and organiser.
How does it work?
This year could be lonelier than ever for older people on their own.
But it doesn't have to be.
Community Christmas is our campaign encouraging organisations, businesses and local communities to find ways to support this generation at Christmas, making meaningful connections that last longer than just a day.
This year, we believe it's more important than ever for communities to come together at Christmas. And we're here to support in the following ways:
- Through our UK-wide directory, we're publicising venues that are able to safely open their doors to older, vulnerable people in the community who would otherwise be spending Christmas Day and the days around it alone.
- We're also publicising festive activities organised by local communities through our directory. This includes anything from a small street get-together with mulled wine and mince pies to a Christmas lunch delivery service. You can register any activity or event that brings older people comfort and joy and makes the day special.
- We're encouraging anyone of any age who will be alone on Christmas Day to use our directory to find something in their area they can go to.
- We're offering a call companion to any older person who is feeling alone at this difficult time and would like a regular chat over the phone from one of our friendly volunteers throughout the festive season and beyond.
- Thanks to the generosity of our supporters, we are offering all these services for free, though it's worth noting that some of the events listed on our directory may charge.
If you (or the person you are thinking of) are 75 or older and are looking for somebody to speak with on Christmas Day, please do fill out the application form here and we will be in touch to find out more.
You can also give us a call on 0800 716543.
Younger than 75
If you (or the person you are thinking of) are younger than 75 please do use our postcode search to find out what is going on in your local area. You can then get in touch with an event organiser directly.
For everyone else
Whatever your age, if you are looking for somewhere to go on December Day for some fun and friendly chat, please use our postcode search to find out what is going on in your local area and get in touch with an event directly.
If you don't have the time but are keen to help
If you don’t have the time to volunteer, or don’t know anyone to refer, and don’t need anywhere to go. Or maybe you simply want to do more? There are a number of ways you can support us.
You could make a one-off donation or regular donation here to support our work against social isolation among older people.
Itching to get involved in your local community and help raise funds whilst having fun? Check out our A-Z fundraising ideas to find the right challenge for you.
Christmas Day used to be such a sad, miserable time for me. Now, I could smile all day and enjoy other people’s company.